Friday 25 May 2012

The Path to Vulnerability part 3 - Actually being vulnerable....


The toughest part of the path to being vulnerable… actually being vulnerable. It won’t come easy and it won’t be natural at first. You’ve spent a lot of time learning how not to do it so it’s going to take time and intelligent effort . It also won’t always feel good either.  There will be times when your worst fears about being vulnerable will come true, but this says more about those judging you then it does you. The ability to get up, dust yourself off and stick your hand back in the metaphorical fire to get burned again is what will make you a strong, vibrant and magnanimous person.

 For me, being vulnerable started slowly. It first started with close friends. Friends that I knew would understand because of similar life situations.  I slowly began sharing things with them, and these few that I let see the softness within are still friends today. We may not speak regularly, but when we do, we pick up right where we left off. There is a deep connection there that withstands time and circumstances.  Another beautiful part of these friendships is an unspoken understanding that we recognize each other’s pain.  We don’t need to rehash experiences repeatedly and look for common threads, we know they’re there and that’s that.

The task of being more open and vulnerable in a romantic relationship was a more difficult hurdle.  My first stab at vulnerability in a romantic relationship helped me realize my worst nightmare about vulnerability, which turned out to be a blessing.  I was terrified to be so open with someone about my feelings and other difficult topics, but forced myself to try. I was as open as I could be at the time, and it was received in a manner that relieved me.  I didn’t feel judged or damaged or any of the billion other terrible things I wasted my energy and time fantasizing about.  I did however, feel fear.

I don’t know how many of you have actually felt fear, I mean feel it physically. Fear, in me, is similar to sadness. Fear is a tightening in my gut; it is my heart pounding; it is a lump low in my throat (sadness’ lump sits higher) and pressure behind my eyes because I am close to tears.  On a side note – I once had a psychic tell me that if I didn’t stop worrying about what other people think I would have stomach problems- crazy eh? Recognizing fear was an important step for me, because once I was able to recognize situations in which I was fearful, I could do two things.  The first is a belly softening meditation, where I focus on relaxing that particular area, deep down including my blood vessels. The second thing I could do is go into the discomfort and do exactly what I was afraid of doing. This really helped me identify times when I was avoiding being vulnerable.

So anyway, back to being vulnerable with a romantic partner. My worst fear was realized. When the relationship ended, which involved me hurting his feelings, unintentionally but nonetheless, the things I was afraid of sharing were thrown back in my face in an effort to equally hurt my feelings.  I was disappointed, hurt and a little pissed. Despite these feelings, I remember reading one of his “lovely” letters to me in which specific topics were brought up, and thinking “Hey, I’m still O.K.”. That was really my worst possible fear realized and yet there I was – still breathing, living and all around ok.  My world didn’t collapse; I didn’t have to hide my face every time I left the house! All the time I had spent obsessing about all the terrible things that would occur if I was vulnerable with someone was for nothing! Sure my feelings were still hurt, and yes there was a little regret that things hadn’t gone smoother, but all in all, the essential part of me was untouched. I was actually better for having been vulnerable.

My second attempt at being vulnerable with a romantic partner although not necessarily smoother, was certainly very different.  I learned a lot about love, my capacity for love and what it meant to truly share yourself with someone.  I have to say that our capacity to love and share ourselves with others is a direct function of how we love and accept ourselves. Being able to see and accept parts of ourselves that we classify as “bad” allows us to extend this to others. We become compassionate towards others because we know how much it hurts to beat yourself up over something or how damaging it is to numb feelings.  We recognize hurtful behavior for what it is, temporarily hurtful to the target, but ten times more hurtful to the perpetrator, and are compassionate towards them. Part of this compassion is the willingness to be open and let someone know that you understand how they feel. They may not receive it well, or they may not understand because they are so unaware of their own feelings, but you are doing good for you both by being vulnerable and compassionate.

“They” say that becoming aware in a relationship will either make it or break it. The thing with becoming more aware is it affects everyone around you. Some may not be ready for it yet, leading to the break it situation. Rest assured that being aware, becoming open, honest and compassionate are an important part of our evolution as a society and as a species. By helping yourself you are helping us all. We are so intrinsically connected that it cannot be any other way.

“You can search throughout the entire universe for someone who is more deserving of your love and affection than you are yourself, and that person is not to be found anywhere. You, yourself, as much as anybody in the entire universe, deserve your love and affection.” Gautama the Buddha

No comments:

Post a Comment